The Flexible Pay Program is a formal recognition program for non-bargaining employees in the Vice President for Research organization (Orgs 04 & 40). Under the program, eligible employees may receive up to 10 percent of their base salary in a flexible pay reward during a 12-month period. Nominations can come from supervisors and directors in the departments. There are two types of awards: 1) SPOT Performance Awards and 2) Exceptional Performance Awards
- All regular, non-organized P&S employees who work in Org 04/40 who hold a regular appointment of 50 percent or greater.
- All Flexible Pay awards must be approved at the Organizational level. If an award is to be paid in any part by 500 or 510 funds, UI Compensation and Classification will route the transaction to Grant Accounting so they may review the payment request at the time of award is submitted for final approval.
- Performance or activity that you want to recognize must occur between July 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013.
- Flexible Pay will be awarded at any time during the year.
- Flexible Pay will be awarded in the form of a lump sum payment that is not added to the base salary.
- Departments are responsible for funding Flexible Pay Awards.
Exceptional Performance Award:
- Ten percent (10%) of the organization’s non-organized P&S may receive an Exceptional Performance Award per fiscal year.
- The employee must have a current Commendable or Distinguished performance evaluation on file.
- Staff member must be employed in org 04/40 in a regular position for at least 6 months.
- An employee must have received at least the average July 1st salary increase for the Org to be eligible for an Exceptional Performance Award, unless prior agreement has been reached with the Director, UI Compensation and Classification that the employee must have received at least the Department average July 1st salary instead of the Org average. If an employee did not receive the average salary increase for the Org due to their current market position, the Org may ask for consideration from the Director, UI Compensation and Classification.
- An employee may receive up to 10% of their salary in Flexible Pay for Exceptional Performance Awards per fiscal year. If the recommended amount for any single Exceptional Performance Award is over $5,000, the recommendation must be reviewed and approved by UI Compensation and Classification. If a second Exceptional Performance Award recommendation for the same employee is received in the same fiscal year, and the cumulative amount if over $5,000, it must be reviewed and approved by UI Compensation and Classification.
- An employee may receive Exceptional Performance Awards a maximum of two times per fiscal year.
The following criteria will be used to evaluate Exceptional Performance awards
Flexible pay may be awarded for exceptional performance which may include, but is not limited to, rewarding a variety of outcomes and behaviors. Examples include expanded scope of duties, completion of a major project, extraordinary performance, the development of significant new initiatives, cost savings, process improvement, completion of professional certifications and/or outreach and engagement.
Spot Performance Award:
- SPOT awards may be up to $75.00 or less (de minimis awards)\
- SPOT awards may be awarded up to 4 times per year to the same employee with a minimum of 30 working days separation.
The following criteria will be used to evaluate SPOT AWARDS
• Flexible pay may be awarded for exceptional performance which may include, but is not limited to, rewarding a variety of outcomes and behaviors. Examples include expanded scope of duties, completion of a major project, extraordinary performance, development of significant new initiatives, cost savings, process improvement, completion of professional certifications and/or outreach and engagement.
- Nominations are done through a special compensation payment form in self-service.
- The workflow form will automatically calculate a gross payment amount to result in the net award requested.