The Distinguished Research Administrator & Research Professional Awards are given annually to recognize staff members at the University of Iowa who performed exceptional service in support of research. This award is co- sponsored by the Office of the Vice President for Research & VP for Finance and Operations.
Distinguished Research Administrators -
Support research by exploring funding opportunities, assisting in grant proposal preparation, submission, post-award administration and operational support.
Distinguished Research Support Professionals -
Provide support for research by conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing results and performing operational duties associated with the laboratory or research program.
Eligibility, criteria, and nominations
All current permanent non-contract Merit Supervisory Exempt/Confidential and Professional and Scientific staff, with a 50 percent or greater appointment, are eligible for this award.
The following criteria will be used when selecting recipients for this award:
- Outstanding contributions that go beyond the ordinary fulfillment of the individual’s position duties.
- Distinguished work that stands out as a set of exceptionally effective contributions to research.
- Direct work experience with researchers that extend over several years (more than 5 years).
- Examples of outstanding contributions in pursuit of research goals (e.g. process improvements, program creation, substantive contributions to obtaining external funding, idea creation, innovation, etc.)
Nominators must complete the nomination form and include the necessary supporting information. The deadline for submission is Friday, March 29, 2013. Nominations that are incomplete or received after the deadline will be returned.
Nomination, selection, and announcement process
- This award process is conducted annually. The nomination form must be received no later than Friday, March 29, 2013. Recipients will be announced in May.
- Nomination Form
- Nominations are to be submitted electronically, and questions concerning the Distinguished Research Administrator & Research Professional Awards are to be directed to Cheryl Reardon in the Office of the VP for Research.
- Nominations will be evaluated with respect to the award criteria by selection committee comprised of leaders within the Vice President for Research, Grant Accounting, Sponsored Programs, and at least one representative from Staff Council.
Each recipient will receive:
- A prize of $500 and a commemorative gift. Funds will be provided to the employees’ department for use in professional development in support of that employee.
- Recipients will be recognized formally at either an annual reception to highlight achievements or a departmental recognition event.
- All recipients will be recognized on the VPR website to highlight their accomplishments.